Thursday, September 3, 2009

caller de la marina

Barcelona.
Day 3.
it hasn't hardly hit me yet that i'm thousands and thousands of miles away from home.
maybe its the fact that Dani, my host brother, is playing bob marley and wii mario kart in the living room.
but regardless, i absolutely dig this city...

yesterday, our first full day in Spain, we left our hotel in Castelldefels and headed into the big city.  we toured la placa catalunya by foot and then went around the entire city on a bus.
holy tourists.
i have never felt so ridiculous in my entire life... everyone with their maps out, wandering in herds, speaking english and talking quite loudly about their hair and how much the wished that they had starbucks right now...
that is until the girls found a starbucks and dropped like 4,50 euro on a cup of coffee... ridiculous.
anyway.  we went back to the hotel that evening, had meetings, dinner at 830, and went down to the beach.

today has been an adventure.  ive undoubtedly spoke more spanish than english. 
and even though i can speak spanish pretty well, i still feel completely lost because everyone speaks catalan to each other, and then change to castellano when they want to speak with me.
my host mom picked me up this morning.
she is the sweetest lady ever!
marsel, her friends 11 year old son, came with her.
we took a cab (my 2nd cab ride of my life, mind you) to our house and went up.  we live on the 7th floor of an apartment in the l'eixample neighborhood, about a block or so from La Sagrada Familia.
my 17 year old brother, Dani, was upstairs.  apparently, in spain, Dani is a boys name always, not a girls... woops.
dani has a semi long shaggy brown hair, complete with dreadlock rat tail and a littly braid off to the side.
he told me that he wants to go to the united states so that he can go break dance there.
apparently hes really into that.

sylvia, my mom, is a singer.  she showed me an album that she did some duets on, and shes fantastic! 
i told her about my job at outdoors for all and she told me about how sometimes she goes and sings with people with disabilities.
this weekend, shes going to be out of town because she has a show in a small town north of here.

the appartment is small, but i have a great little room.
i dont have to take my shoes off when i go inside, and im allowed to go barefoot.
you flush the toilet by pulling the chain that hangs down from the ceiling.

i took a 2 hour siesta and now am delerious and cant speak spanish very quickly... hopefully ill wake up, if it ever cools off.

until later...

adeu!

No comments:

Post a Comment